joi, 9 noiembrie 2017

”Black Dawn”, Mallory McCartney - Review

Name: Black Dawn
Author: Mallory McCartney
Genre: YA/NA Fantasy
Release Date: February 14th 2017
Publisher: Clean Reads Publishing
* E-book provided by YA Bound Book Tours as part of the book tour, in exchange for a honest review.



The end of an Empire, The rise of a Queen

Emory Fae enjoys leading a quiet, normal life. That is until two mysterious, and handsome soldiers show up at her apartment, and the life she knew is instantly whisked away. Memphis Carter and Brokk Foster come from the magical and war ridden world of Kiero, and upon Emory's arrival she will discover she is the long lost heir to the Royal Line and is thrown into the Black Dawn Rebellion with a dynamic role to ignite the rebels and reclaim her throne.

With both men being darkly woven in her past Emory uncovers hidden secrets, a power held long dormant, and will soon realize there are worse things than supernatural humans, love, loss, betrayal, and a Mad King.

Some things are better left in the shadows.


This book proves once again how I judge a book by its cover. Black Dawn is gifted with such a mesmerizing cover, it is impossible not to catch your eye and make you want to know more about what lies beyond the cover.

Black Dawn comes with a story that follows some dystopian/YA fantasy/ romance patterns, but also comes with some new things, like the time-traveling, which I really enjoyed. It fits really well into the world and the story, and I liked how it was explained. The story itself is fast-paced, engaging and it keeps you on the edge of your seat most of the time. It's not the most original story you will find, but it's that kind of read that definitely won't bore you. From the beginning to the end, there is something going on that will keep you wandering what is next and how is everything going to end.

The characters... hm, they are not so diverse, I believe. They are all so young and the few elders are not exactly the kind you would want to be friends with. Emory is ok. What I like about her is that she accepts her responsability and wants to do something to make things right. I still feel like I have a lot of things to discover related to Emory, but not only about her. Also Memphis, Brokk and the others have their stories to tell. They all have insecurities, relationship issues that need to be solved, and I really hope they will figure it out, because it got annoying at one point.

What could have been improved are the world-building, the "abilities thing" (more info about the provenience, history) and the romance part. I honestly think this book has too much romance and romance related problems. And in the middle of the storm is, of course, Emory. She is involved in too many troubled relations, as far as I am concerned. I believe in the next novel should be a change in this regard, because I want to believe this series is more than a feud between some confused youngsters.

Overall, Black Dawn is a pleasant book and I look forward to reading the sequel. I know this book could have been better, but I hope the next one will meet my expectations.

My Rating: 3,5/5

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

Thank you for reading my post and for leaving me your thoughts. Warm hugs!