marți, 30 iulie 2013

"Hysteria" by Megan Miranda - Review


Hello guys!

Hysteria is the first book in English I've read. I hope it's not the last one :). Well, it took me a few days to read it. It wasn't that hard, but I filled about twelve pages with unknown words. Anyway, let's get it started.

Book Summary (from Goodreads):

Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? 

In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her... or anything about her past. But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. 

Then, one of her new classmates, Jason, turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence - to herself and others. 

In another riveting tale of life and death, Megan Miranda's masterful storytelling brings readers along for a ride to the edge of sanity and back again.

My opinion:

Well, I'll say it straight: Hysteria is a good book, with an interesting premise and big potential but these three qualities simply started to vanish as I got closer to the ending. Initially, I was something like "Omg! This will be certainly one of the best books I've ever read!" I mean, Hysteria it's not that kind of book that you read from tip to toe because it's that awesome, you read it because you're simply too curious about what really happened that night (when Mallory killed Brian). And, I don't know, I kept waiting for the boom, for that point when you simply remain shocked about the truth, but it never showed up. 

Like I said above: this book had great potential and an attractive premise but that's all. I think discovering the truth about that night was the only thing that actually kept me on the edge of my seat. And as I got closer to the ending, I started to realize that the truth about that night is as lame as the reasons why Jason was killed. There are two crimes and none of them has that astonishingly thing, such as the killer, such as the motive. In both cases is about teen killers and trivial motives of killing, nothing too spectacular.

Though, my favourite character is Colleen, Mallory's best friend. She's funny, she's loyal to Mallory, she's brave and she's willing to risk her own life for her friend. My opinion about Mallory is neutral. I mean, she doesn't really have that main character air. Another character I'm glad Megan created is Reid, the most popular student and Mallory's future boyfriend. I kinda enjoyed them relationship and how it evolved. I think this part, the romance part, determined many readers to give this book a higher grade.

My Rating: 3,5/5 (Goodreads - 3)

Quotes:


That's when I learned that hate is a funny thing. It can manifest out of nothing in an instant. It can jump from here to here. - Mallory

I was scared of what else I might see. Like when I was seven and I'd wake up and still see the people from my dream, moving like a fragmented video. At the door. Blink. At the foot of my bed. Blink. At my side. Here and not here. - Mallory

Funny how you can be so tied up in another person and not even know it until she’s gone. - Mallory


Well, despite the black dots, I recommend you this book. I don't strongly recommend, but I think Hysteria it's not a waste of time. :)

3 comentarii:

  1. Interesanta recenzia, ma atrage foarte mult coperta cartii, e asa de wow...

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  2. Great review! I've heard of this book many times before, I think it's really cool that you got to read it. ^^ Maybe I'll check it out sometime..

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  3. @Rosia, mulţumesc!:D Da, şi mie mi se pare deosebită :).

    @Ralu, thank you! ^^

    RăspundețiȘtergere

Thank you for reading my post and for leaving me your thoughts. Warm hugs!