vineri, 26 iulie 2013

Author Interview "The End of Athens" by Anthony Michael Karakai

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog interview with Anthony Karakai, author of The End of Athens! :) First of all, I would like to thank Anthony for being so kind. Although he's a busy person, he answered my questions.


The End of Athens
Anthony Karakai


Genre: Dystopian Thriller/Urban Fantasy
Number of pages: 320
Cover Artist: Anthony Karakai
Virtual book tour organized by: Bewitching Book Tours


Book Description:


In the year 2091, humans have lost the ability to dream. After decades of financial and social depression, dreams and aspirations have become a recessive gene - an impossibility of the modern mind. 


Greece is one of the worst social and economic disaster zones, and all hope of a better future has been lost. One young man, Nikos, discovers that he is not like everybody else - there is something different about him.


Believing that he may be going crazy, he soon discovers that he is the only person in Greece who has inherited the ability to dream. Time is running out as the government continues its tirade of corruption and suppression against the people, and Nikos must find a way to teach others how to dream so that once more society can free itself from the shackles of mental slavery.

~ Interview ~

1. Hello Anthony! I am very happy to have you here. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


Hello Bianca, thank you for having me. I first realised I wanted to become a writer after I graduated from college. I had just travelled around Europe and wanted to write about the wonderful things I saw. I wrote ‘Vagabond’ more out of compulsion and necessity, than with a career as an actual writer in mind. I have always been a big reader and loved writing, and after I wrote ‘Vagabond’ I realised that this is something I really wanted to do for the rest of my life.

2. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?


Paulo Coelho. He is the master.


3. What inspired you to write The End of Athens?


Seeing people take a negative approach to dreams, and dismiss their intrinsic value in order to play it safe and avoid potential disappointment, is what made me want to write ‘The End of Athens.’ Although Greece is going through economic trouble at the moment, there is no intentional parallel between the Greece of today, and the Greece of 2091. I chose Greece because it’s one of the most important countries in history- it will always stand above any other nation and a true contributor to society. Greece, historically, was about more than riches and country acquisition- it was about laying down the foundation for a fruitful life. ‘The End of Athens’ is a tribute to this great country, a country which I believe has done more for the world than any other.


4. How did you come up with the title of your book?



Titles are difficult to come up with, depending on the type of book you are writing. I came up with this title as it represents shedding the old, negative school of thought, and going forth with the new. I find it ironic that so many people want to be dream killers, when dreams are the fundamental atom which has allowed society to prosper to where it is today. Kill dreams, kill imagination, and you are left with chaos.


5. Are any of the characters in your book based on actual people?


My characters are based on people I know or who I have come across. There is a part of me in Nikos.

6. What was the hardest part of writing your book?


I didn’t find writing it difficult, but the only minor stumbling block I had was getting the novel into the right hands. I think some people can read it expecting non-stop action, others expect a pure fantasy novel. In actuality it’s a thinking-persons novel, which contains elements of magical realism and if anything, is an inspirational read.


7. What did you enjoy most about writing this book?


Expressing to people that no matter what, life is short. There is no getting out of it alive. If you already know how the story ends, then what more do you have to lose? Live a life worth living. Live a life worth remembering, because none of us get out of it alive, so the most important thing should be to strive for happiness. Happiness stems from dreams.


8. What do you think most characterizes your writing?


Philosophy, magical realism and inspirational narratives.


9. Tell us about the cover and how it came about.


I designed the cover myself and wanted to give the reader an artistic glimpse into the symbolism, thoughts and mystery they can expect. It’s easy to get caught up in cover designs either before, during or after the novel in completed. Many writers would agree that there is an obsession over cover designs at times. You want to make it artistic and unique, but then for some genres if you become too artistic it becomes so unique that it’s unrecognisable. There’s a fine balance between artistry and commonality.



10. Which actor would you like to see playing the lead character from your book?


Johnny Depp or Christian Bale. Not for star appeal, but because their method of acting I believe would suit Nikos’ state of mind throughout the book.


11. What hobbies do you enjoy when you are not writing?


Reading, travelling and playing chess.


12. What are your favourites books of all time?

‘The Alchemist,’ by Paulo Coelho, and ‘The Beach,’ by Alex Garland.


13. Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?


Keep going. There’s ups and downs, and the downs can be pretty bad, but keep pushing forward and have confidence in your work. There’s a lot of people with talent in the world, but the ones who break out are those who are persistent, consistent and resistant to negative events.

14. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?


I enjoy keeping in touch with my readers, so please follow me on Facebook or connect with me on Twitter. Say hello and we can chat about the different elements in my books, or anything else you feel like!



I simply love your answers! :) I'm pretty sure that if a hopeless and dreamless person would have a little chat with you or would read "The End of Athens" she or he would become a really trust-and-follow-your-dreams person :D.



~ About the Author ~



Anthony Michael Karakai was born in Melbourne, Australia, and is a dual citizen of Hungary. Holding an International Business degree, he is also a qualified percussionist and music producer, having studied music extensively since the age of seven. Working in journalism, his work has been published in various magazines and websites. With an insatiable appetite for travel and an eagerness to explore off the beaten path, Karakai travels at every opportunity- his travels and ongoing commitment to exploring the world are what inspires him to write.


Twitter: @AnthonyKarakai
Website: http://www.anthonykarakai.com
Goodreads: Anthony Karakai


Have a great day everyone! ^^

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

Thank you for reading my post and for leaving me your thoughts. Warm hugs!